In 1697, 1200 acres of the area were granted to Dutch Families. It was a peaceful place with good fertile farming by valley pristine rivers. The America’s Oldest, much traveled 100 mile Road was called Old Mine Road, now better known as River Road in New Jersey and South Maple Avenue in New York. The Boundary line between New Jersey and New York was undetermined. Both states wanted the best farm lands and peaceful Valley was soon under a border War destroying each others homes and property.
Finally, on September 1, 1773, the present boundary line was established by England. December 20, 1937, South of the Border Restaurant was born on the site and incorporated. Some share owners lived in New York and some in New Jersey so the building was built right on the border satisfying all owners. It was popular spot with live music and line dancing. South of the Border changed hands and was ran and operated as Northern Lights from 1979 to 1995.
Today as the 4th owner of the building Maple River Restaurant & Bar has two mailing addresses:
1 River Road, Montague NJ 07827 and
South Maple Avenue, Port Jervis NY 12771.
Thus the name Maple River to satisfy both States.
Restaurant has two permits from Montague Township and Town of Deer Park, New York. The dividing line has been marked inside by a sign above the counter next to the bar. The bar is located in New York. Our staff is hoping that the history continues and happy memories are born here in between the two states and the 3rd State of Pennsylvania being less than 1/2 mile away at the middle of the Delaware River.
Enjoy and be part of the history in the making